As we recover from heavy rains and cold this winter, it is important to inspect your home for damage to plan for maintenance and or remodeling projects. Winter weather can be damaging to a home and the tips from NAHB Remodelers can help return you home to top condition.
NAHB Remodelers recommends these top 10 tips:
1. Inspect roof- Check your roof for any damaged, or missing shingles and make sure all the flashing around the chimney and skylight seals are secure.
2. Clean and repair gutters- Clean gutters and check to make sure they are still securely attached to the house. Blocked or loose gutters can allow water to penetrate your wood trim and cause damage.
3. Check for leaks- The most common hard to find leaks are attics, crawl spaces and washing machine hoses. Also, look under sinks for damage from frozen pipers and check your water heater for signs of corrosion.
4. Clear exterior drains- Remove leaves from underground or exterior drains to prevent backups.
5. Inspect siding- Inspect your siding for pieces that have come loose or for areas that need caulking.
6. Check window and door seals- To ensure a watertight seal around windows and doors examine the exterior areas.
7. Patch cracks- Patch cracks in sidewalks, driveways and steps to keep water out and prevent further damage.
8. Exterior painting- Paint or touch up the exterior of your home to prevent it from the elements.
9. Inspect the HVAC- Now is the time to replace your HVAC filters and call for service to make sure it is running properly.
10. Check your home’s grading- Make sure your yard’s grade slopes away from your home’s foundation to keep excess moisture away.
By starting on these projects now, this will help keep these potential problems at bay.
For more homeowner news and information go to: http://www.bellacasateam.com